A cold cold day

A cold cold day

Thursday, September 9, 2010

The Forgotten Knife: Sept 03 2010

The Forgotten Knife

I was sitting in a local restaurant with great company, and yet I felt sad. It wasn't the storm, I actually quite like storms, the power failures, heavy rain, thunder (I assume it's always a good game of bowling up there!) and flashes of lightening are something I really enjoy.

What's got me so upset is a knife. An abandoned knife, left alone in the cold. Let me back track a bit. When I sat down for dinner it was a bit cloudy, kinda questionable patio weather, so we sat inside, but there were people on the uncovered patio. Pretty soon it got real dark, and it started to spit rain, and not long after the thunder started. I watched everyone pack up and run inside. Everything was taken, the salt and pepper shakers, napkins, menus, everything except one napkin, and one knife.

They were left behind, left to survive one of the worse storms of the summer. They clung together with fear and hope, perhaps even a little bit of excitement at first! It didn't take long for the napkin to succumb to the conditions. It fought its hardest, and ended up sacrificing itself to save the knife, wrapped itself protectively around the knife until it dissolved away into nothingness. The knife was left alone and forgotten, fear set in, and sadness washed over it as the loss of the napkin settled in to place. Is almost seemed as though the knife no longer cared about the rain. It didn't seem to be bothered by the fact that it was a conductor for lightening. It just sad there, cold and alone, no one taking the time to rescue it.

Yes I know, I'm one of those people that hated that abandoned lamp commercial from Ikea. Those swifter commercials where the old cleaning mop, or duster got left behind (before they started making them fall in love with new things) Oh, and don't even get me started on the salt shaker commercial!! It actually made my eyes water....

I sat through the rest of my meal watching this knife. Guilt ridden that it had been abandoned. I felt such a great need to do something to save it, make the knife realize it wasn't alone, that someone did care about it. The knife deserves to sit nice and cozy in a cutlery drawer with a brand new family of knives! So when I left, I did the only thing possible to redeem my lack of actions. I stole it. The knife looks a lot happier now, but I do still feel bad about the napkin though...

No comments:

Post a Comment